By Cóilín Duffy
It was a bonus Sunday of action in the Lidl Ladies Football League with the six postponed ties and one refixed game taking place.
All four divisions saw games postponed due to bad weather last weekend, while the Division 1 fixture between Westmeath and Donegal was abandoned after 45 minutes due to heavy snow fall.
The latter was one of two Division 1 games to take place, with Donegal firmly continuing from where they left off with a facile 9-17 to 1-5 win over the Lake County in Derrylin.
The Ulster side had looked likely winners in last weekends match, and again this afternoon they worked hard.
Yvonne Bonner fired 3-6, but it was Niamh Hegarty who was goal hungry early on with two goals.
Fiona Claffey hit the net for Westmeath to cut the gap to a point, and when Laura Lee Walsh pointed the sides were level after 27 minutes.
Donegal finshed the half strongly – Bonner firing two goals inside a minute, before a Karen Guthrie free ensured Donegal led 4-3 to 1-5 at half-time.
Westmeath didn’t score on the restart, with Eilish Ward, Bonner, Sarah Jane McDonald and Grainne Houston netting second half goals for a 36-point win.
Ann Marie Burns picked up her first win as Monaghan manager, after a 2-9 to 1-10 win over Kerry at IT Blanchardstown.
The Ulster side dug deep in the second half, after the sides were level at the interval.
Monaghan bagged both of their goals in the first half, with Eimear McAnespie on target for the games opening score, and Cora Courtney on target after 24 minutes.
Sarah Houlihan’s efforts from placed balls, combined with Louise Ní Mhuircheartaigh’s efforts ensured the sides were tied 2-1 to 0-7 at half-time.
Houlihan’s fourth point edged Kerry ahead on the restart, before Katie Duffy levelled and then Monaghan took a lead they wouldn’t relinquish.
Ciara McAnespie claimed four second half points, and although substitute Deirdre Geaney netted for Kerry – Monaghan held out for a two-point win.
There were two games in Division 2 also, with Armagh and Tipperary picking up away wins.
Armagh stormed to a 7-20 to 2-5 win over Sligo.
The Orchard County had 2-14 on the board, before Sligo opened their account in the 28th minute from a long distance free.
Armagh’s early goals came from Fionnuala McKenna inside the opening minute, and a 16th minute Aimee Mackin penalty.
Sligo netted before the break, as Armagh took a 2-14 to 1-1 half-time lead.
Aimee and Blaithin Mackin, along with Aoife McCoy (2), and Lauren McConville netted Armagh goals, as they moved 7-20 to 1-3 ahead with 10 minutes to go.
Sligo’s second goal arrived in the 58th minute, but Armagh finished with a 30-point win
It was much closer in Drumragh, where Tipperary had a 0-12 to 0-9 win over the hosts to maintain their unbeaten run in 2018.
In fact this was the 20th game in succession that the Premier County Ladies have won!
In wet and windy conditions, the visitors led by 0-7 to 0-3 at the break, but Shane Ronayne’s charges found it tougher on the restart.
There was a double header of Division 3 action at St. Loman’s Mullingar, with Leitrim playing in their first game against Offaly, and Roscommon facing Meath.
The days action finished with a win a piece for Leinster and Connacht sides, with Offaly on top in the opener by 5-15 to 2-5.
Offaly led by 2-5 to 1-3 at half-time, with Mairead Daly and Meabh Coleman netting the Faithful County goals inside the opening 17 minutes.
Laura O’Dowd responded with a goal a minute later for Leitrim.
Leitrim brought their tally to 2-5 inside six minutes of the restart, to trail by the minimum margin, however they wouldn’t score again.
Offaly tagged on 3-9 without reply including goals from Amy Gavin Mangan, Ellie McEvoy and Aoife Norris on the way to a 19-point win.
Roscommon edged a tighter affair in the second game at St. Loman’s by 2-9 to 0-12 over Meath.
It was a real game of two halves, with Roscommon leading by 2-5 to 0-8 at the break.
Meath started well and led by 0-3 to 0-0 with Stacy Grimes (2) and Niamh O’Sullivan on target.
But goals from Rebecca Finan and Jenny Higgins helped Roscommon to a three-point interval lead.
Meanwhile there was one game in Division 4, where Wicklow maintained their unbeaten run with a 2-7 to 1-5 win over Limerick in Askeaton.
Wicklow were comfortable at half-time, and led by 2-3 to 0-1 at the interval. Both of their goals coming inside the opening 18 minutes.
Mairead Kavanagh netted for the hosts inside 12 minutes of the restart, but Wicklow were full value for their win.