Select Page

Lidl Ladies National League Division 2 Round 2 – Kerry V Waterford

Feb 11, 2019

Kerry 0-15 Waterford 2-09
Referee (N McCormack)
Venue: Kerins O’Rahillys, Tralee, Co. Kerry

Both sides had to settle for a share of the spoils after a highly entertaining game in Strand Road. Kerry started brightly with Miriam O’Keeffe pointing inside the first minute. Waterford’s Liz Devine quickly replied for the visitors. With the rain arriving at the start of the game it made for a greasy ball & surface, but this didn’t stop Kerry from driving forward at every available opportunity. The home side were playing more direct from the get go with the forwards showing for it at every available opportunity. Fossa’s Erica McGlynn with two points inside the first five minutes to give Kerry an early 0-03 to Waterford’s 0-01. Waterford’s Eimear Fennell had the deficit down to a one score game, but Kerry were to go on a scoring spree with four unanswered points with the defence as a unit holding firm with Aislinn Desmond in the thick of the action. Miriam O’Keeffe was to be the chief tormenter for the Waterford defence scoring three points two from frees and one from play. Kerry captain Amanda Brosnan added her name to the score sheet with a brace of points one from a free and play and by the sixteenth minute it left the score line reading Kerry 0-08 Waterford 0-02. The score line at this stage reflecting Kerry’s dominance in every aspect of the game. The changes in defence from the opening round draw with Clare were paying dividends in the early exchanges in the game. Maria Delahunty opened her account in the eighteen minute from a free before Niamh Carmody replied in the twentieth minute for the home side. Kerry were guilty of some missed opportunities in the final quarter of the first half, opportunities if they had gone over would have given them a sizeable lead going in at half time and given Waterford a mountain to climb. They also had two goal chances which ended up in the back of the net but on each occasion were ruled out for a square ball infringement. It was however the away side who finished the half stronger with Eimear Fennell scoring her second point of the half and a goal somewhat fortitudes at the end of the first half allowed Waterford to go in at the break just two points down. A deficit they would happily have taken going in at halftime considering Kerry’s dominance in the half. The scoreline reading Kerry 0-09 Waterford 1-04.

Kerry made two substitutions at the start of the second half. Sophie Lynch and Niamh Carmody making way for Siobhan Burns and Anna O’Reilly. Kerry’s Miriam O’Keeffe was the first to raise the white flag in the second half with a point from a free. Waterford soon replied with a point from play and the deficit was again back to a two-point game. Both sides were guilty of some missed opportunities before two points from Kerry’s Erica McGlynn and Emma Dineen her first of the afternoon increased Kerry’s lead to a two-score game. Midway through the second half Maria Delahunty pointed her second of the afternoon from a free to reduce the deficit to a one score game. The home side had a change to increase the lead, but Lorraine Scanlon pulled her attempt of a free wide. Things were about to get a whole lot tougher for Kerry. Substitute Siobhan Burns was sin binned with eleven minutes left on the clock. Waterford were first to react to this with Maria Melahunty with her third point of the afternoon from a free to reduce the deficit to two points. Credit to the home side for regrouping with Lorraine Scanlon pointing from a free in the twenty first minute having missed one earlier from a similar position. The away side quickly replied soon after to reduce the deficit to two. Erica McGlynn got her fourth of the afternoon in increase Kerry’s lead to three with five minutes left on the clock. Waterford were not done yet, up popped Aileen Wall with two minutes left on the clock to draw the sides level. Maria Delahunty added her fourth free deep in injury time to give the away side a one-point lead with little time remaining. Waterford Carragh McCarthy soon received her marching orders for the sin bin.

Credit to Kerry for showing compose and intelligence with little time remaining to engineer one more scoring chance with Beaufort’s Hannagh O’Donoghue duly obliging to send both sides home with a share of the spoils. Final Score Kerry 0-15 Waterford 2-09.

Kerry Team & Scorers:

R White, C O’Brien, A Desmond, E Lynch, S Lynch, A O’Connell, K Cronin, L Scanlon (0-1f), A Brosnan (0-2 1f) (C), E Dineen (0-1), C Murphy, N Carmody (0-1), M O’Keeffe (0-5 3f), E McGlynn (0-4), H O’Donoghue (0-1) Subs: A O’Reilly for S Lynch, S Burns for N Carmody both half time. A O’Callaghan for M O’Keeffe 50min,


Waterford Team & Scorers:

K Moroney, C McCarthy, K McGrath (C), R Casey, K McGrath, E Gildea, T Kiely, E Murray, K A Hogan, A Wall (1-0), M Delahunty (0-4f), C Fennell, E Fennell (0-2 1f), M Ryan, L Devine (0-1), S Dunphy (0-1) (1-0 Kerry own goal) (0-1)

Subs: K Hayes for E Gildea, L McGregor for E Fennell.

More from Gaelic View


Officially Recognised by


Email Us

1 + 15 =